Trading Standards are aware of a number of COVID-related door-to-door scams in the borough and have published the below advice to residents. Please ensure you remind yourself of this guidance and pass this on to any elderly or vulnerable residents you may know.
- Ask to see ID from anyone who comes to your front door.
- Do not let uninvited callers into your home.
- No one, including the NHS and the police, is conducting door-to-door coronavirus tests. If anyone comes to your door and claims to be conducting tests, please call 999
- If you receive a letter through the door offering help during the coronavirus, check to see that the offer is genuine. If unsure, ask a family member, friend or neighbour first.
- Do not give away personal information.
- Do not hand over bank cards or give out your PIN number either on the doorstep or over the telephone.
- Communicate regularly with your neighbours and consider joining your neighbourhood watch scheme.
A few useful contacts:
- Age Concern, Slough and Berkshire East, have set up ‘Hear for You’, a call service for the elderly which offers emotional support and practical help if needed – 01753 497888.
- Our community wardens are still out working in your community – 01628 685636.
- If you notice suspicious behaviour, be sure to call 101.